You’ve just moved into your new apartment, so now what? You need to purchase renters insurance!
Before you say, “But I’m not going to cause damage to my apartment,” remember you don’t always cause damage yourself.
Mother Nature or other tenants and guests could prove to be the source of your problems.
What Will it do for Me?
Renters insurance provides both liability coverage for you and your family and coverage for your personal property (both inside and outside your apartment or rented house).
The landlord’s insurance policy does not cover losses to your personal property or cover you against liability claims. You need to purchase a separate policy to protect yourself.
Reasons You Need Insurance
You may not think it’s important to have insurance – after all, it’s not like you own the building! But imagine these scenarios:
- Thieves clean out your apartment while you are on vacation.
- Someone trips over a power cord in your apartment and is injured.
- The building catches on fire and your belongings are lost due to water, smoke, and fire damage.
- You have to pay for a hotel room following the fire until the landlord fixes your apartment.
This list doesn’t begin to elaborate on the possibilities for disaster – the list goes on and on!
And as we’ve all discovered, you can never discount such crazy-sounding possibilities. Life is often stranger than fiction!
Could you afford to replace your belongings if they were all stolen or destroyed?
Renter’s insurance is very affordable! For a few dollars a month, you can protect you and your property. You may even qualify for discounts, such as an auto/home discount.
In addition, building up an insurance history is comparable to building a credit history. When you buy homeowner‘s insurance, it may be easier and cheaper if you are a “long-time” insured.
- Scheduled Personal Property
- Replacement Cost Option for Personal Property Additional Coverage – Personal Property
- Waterbed Liability
- Personal Injury
Other Policies Available
- Auto (Grinnell Mutual & Grinnell Select)
- Recreational Vehicle FarMate
- Farm-Guard Liability Rented Dwelling Personal Excess Liability
- Wide variety of small business insurance packages
Ask your FarMutual agent for more information on insurance products available through our partner, Grinnell Mutual, to protect your family.